skip to Main Content
Monument

Monument

The Monument is located at the junction of Monument Street and Fish Street Hill, near to the northern end of London Bridge.

Route
Come out of Walbrook and walk left towards Cannon Street. Turn left into Cannon Street and walk toward Monument station. You can see The Monument at the junction of Monument Street and Fish Street Hill.

Background information

The Monument was designed by Sir Christopher Wren between 1671 and 1677 to commemorate the Great Fire of London and to celebrate the rebuilding of the City. The fire began in a baker’s house in Pudding Lane on Sunday 2nd September 1666 and was finally put out on Wednesday 5th September.

Its 61m (202) height represents the exact distance to the point in Pudding Lane where the fire broke out. The column is topped by a single urn of flaming copper to represent the fire.

It states on the column in Latin:

In the year of Christ 1666, on 2 September, at a distance eastward from this place of 202 ft, which is the height of this column, a fire broke out in the dead of night which, the wind blowing, devoured even distant buildings, and rushed devastating through every quarter with astonishing swiftness and noise … On the third day … at the bidding, we may well believe, of heaven, the fire stayed its course and everywhere died out.

Reflections

  • What will be our strongest memories of the Follow the Flame trail?
  • What has it taught us about rebuilding, renewal and spirit?

Practical information

The Monument is open to visitors from 9.30am – 5.30pm. Contact 0207 626 2717 for further information.

www.themonument.info

Back To Top