On Wednesday 23rd October, the launch of “A Review of Religious Education in England” took place in the Palace of Westminster, hosted by the All Party Parliamentary Group (APPG) on RE.
The document is the final report from the RE Subject Review, which has involved consultation with a wide variety of RE professional organisations and individuals, as well as members of the public, over the past 18 months.
The launch event began at 4pm, with a welcome and introduction by Fiona Bruce MP, Deputy Chair of the APPG on RE. Presentations were then given by several people who have been involved in the Review process or are active in the RE community, who paid tribute to the significance of the document:
- Dr Janet Orchard: Project Manager, RE Subject Review; PGCE Programme Director and Senior Teaching Fellow, University of Bristol
- Rev’d Janina Ainsworth: Chief Education Officer and General Secretary, National Society
- Prof. Adam Dinham: Director, Faiths and Civil Society Unit, Goldsmith’s, University of London; Head of Research and Professor of Faith and Public Policy, Goldsmith’s.
- Kate Christopher: Head of RE, Southend High School for Boys
- John Keast OBE: Chair, RE Council
Stephen Lloyd MP, Chair of the APPG on RE, also gave a speech regarding the review report, which alongside the work of the APPG on RE emphasised the importance of RE in Britain’s multicultural society. There was then time for discussion and questions.
The event was attended by members of the RE community, as well as a number of MPs. The RE Council is grateful to everyone who was involved in making the launch a success, and to the APPG for hosting the event.
Read the full RE Review report here.