We are now into our third year of the Beyond the Ordinary RE Teacher recruitment campaign. This year we are working with extremely limited funds and would value your support in promoting RE teaching as a job ‘beyond the ordinary’!
You can help!
We have many resources that can be used to support our campaign, here are some simple things that you might be able to do:
- Get viral: share our social media messages – follow us on Twitter and Facebook, and share our news and views with your own network.
- Share our film: show the video (below) to your contacts, or at staff or departmental meetings, or share it on social media – and ask your colleagues and friends to pass it on. Could you show it to 6th Formers? A community group? Third Year Undergraduates?
- Create your own content: invite the local press to an RE activity or promote the campaign locally like The University of Chester did – you may find this media toolkit useful. Or you could tell your own story like Laura, one of the 2015 intake of RE specialists. We have great news articles available to share. We’d love to share yours too! Why not ask some students to write something for you?
- Contact your local university careers office: you could volunteer to talk with third year students who might be considering RE teaching as the next step; or help potential RE specialists get some practical classroom experience. Remember, prospective student teachers can also sign up for the Teach RE distance learning course, where they can top up their subject knowledge with tailored one-to-one support from a specialist tutor.
- Attend a local training provider event: meet young people (and sometimes older!) who are interested in teaching, but who might not know that you don’t need a theology degree to teach RE, the most interesting and stimulating subject on the curriculum. These are happening up and down the country almost every week, so there will be one local to you. We have leaflets if you want to share them.
email@example.com for more information
Share the video